Monday 22 December 2014

How I Became OAU’s Most Awarded Medical Student - Mabadeje

Binutiri | 08:32 | |
Aderemi Mabadeje, 26, currently holds the highest number of awards for the 2011/2012 Medicine and Surgery class of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. He speaks with MOTUNRAYO JOEL about the challenges he encountered.How I Became OAU’s Most Awarded Medical Student - Mabadeje


Please introduce yourself?
My name is Aderemi Mabadeje, I was born on February I, 1988. I have four siblings. My father is a civil engineer while my mother is a civil servant.

What university did you attend?
I was privileged to attend the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife. I studied Medicine and Surgery.

How many years did you spend in the university?
I would have spent fewer years if not for the frequent strikes we encountered. Nevertheless, I thank God that I spent about seven years. I finished with the 2011/2012 set.

How easy was it gaining admission into OAU and what challenges did you encounter?
I must say it wasn’t easy. The cut-off mark was quite high and competition was fierce. My admission into OAU then became a constant prayer point. I specially want to thank my big sister who kept parading the Faculty of Clinical Sciences to get the latest information and updates on the admission list. It was a real anxious moment for me, I can’t forget that moment.

Was it your decision to study Medicine?
The decision to study Medicine was entirely mine. My parents merely played a supportive role. I enjoy taking up challenges, thus when the time came for me to choose a course, I opted for something very challenging. I didn’t have doubts being a science student.

How was life in the university?
Life in the university as a fresher was overwhelming. There was so much to do, so many forms to fill, so many offices to report to and the large number of students made the lecture theatres small for the student size. I can still remember getting to lectures such as Chemistry 101 at 5am just to secure a sitting space even though the class was to start at 8am. After the lecture, I would then run across the road for the next class. It was really tiresome. But once I got used to the drill, it was all smooth sailing.

What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?
I definitely faced many challenges, but a large percentage of them were administrative. It was tough because I was coming from a background where most things were done for me while I concentrated on just studying. Having to combine both for the first time was challenging. I can still remember the challenges I faced for not having an ID card throughout my first year because I missed the date for data capturing. I also didn’t like abstract courses like Biochemistry and Chemistry, thus I had to study extra hard. These were just a few of the challenges I encountered.

Was it easy balancing social life with your studies?
I didn’t face too many challenges probably because I wasn’t much of an outgoing person. Most social activities were a welcome development. The academic and social lives were never competitors. My academic life had an upper hand.

Were you in a relationship in school?
Yes, I was in a relationship while in medical school.

Looking back at your university days, what are you most thankful for?
I guess I’m most thankful for the grace to complete the long race. Not all that started ended. I’m grateful to God that I was able to complete my course hale and hearty. My family and friends were also of tremendous support. I’m humbled by their love.

Did you think you would win so many awards?
Yes I did. That was my main aim once I got into medical school. However, there were times when the results of in-courses (tests) were not favourable despite being adequately prepared. There were also times (in the clinical exams) when the outcome of my examinations was simply out of my control, yet I remained positive and it paid off. During those times, I exercised resilience, perseverance rather than the much famed brilliance or intelligence, though they play a part too.

What awards did you win?
I had the late Badru Prize for best result in orthopaedics and traumatology; the late Dr. Z. A Alabi Prize for also best result in orthopaedics and traumatology; the Glaxo Allenbury Prize for best result in paediatrics; the Paediatric Association Prize for best result in paediatrics and the Prof. O. Taiwo Memorial Prize for the highest score in a clinical exam.

What are the secrets of your feat?
I wouldn’t call them secrets, but I usually used the first week in each posting to look for a study plan that suited me and the demand of each posting. Hence, I never had a steady reading time. For instance, I read from 4am to 8am daily for postings that started by 10am, while I read from 10pm to 1am for postings that started as early as 7 or 8am.
The only thing common to my reading schedule was that it had to be just after I woke from sleep. I tend to assimilate better that way. I used to ask for pointers from senior colleagues, it helped me understand the tricky aspects of some postings. I also had a habit of answering all the questions asked during ward rounds on my mind.

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I see myself completing residency and being a consultant general surgeon with emphasis on laparoscopic procedures, but as the saying goes, one step at a time. I’m currently observing the National Youth Service Corp scheme. I was initially posted to Adamawa State before I was redeployed to Delta. I hope to write the National and West African Primary Examinations along with some selected foreign ones very soon. Aside that, I’m also involved in volunteer activities with Brown Button Foundation, I plan to use the NYSC service year to get into more of their activities

Who are your role models?
My father(Mr. Gbenga Mabadeje) is my role model. I’m sure he won’t know until now. I learnt how to combine focus and hard work while I remained calm on the surface.

Where do you plan to practise: Nigeria or overseas?
I plan to practise medicine under a very professional system not punctuated with incessant strikes, regardless of where such an environment is found.

Some students complain about having to bribe their lecturers just to pass, did you encounter such a thing?
I must say, that has remained hearsay for me. I didn’t encounter such throughout my stay in medical school.

Is Medicine as tough as students paint it?
Honestly, I’m of that opinion. The understanding of Medicine doesn’t require rocket science; the main thing is to understand how best you study to assimilate. Some students might have to read for several hours while some read for just an hour daily and still have time for several social activities. The end justifies the means basically.

What is your advice to students who want to study medicine?
They should surround themselves with positive minded people and stick to their convictions. They should also pray regularly. The training length for Medicine is six years plus x years, but the stress is all worth the hassle.

What is your take on Nigeria’s health sector?
I wonder where I should start from. I feel the major issues troubling the sector are underfunding, and disharmony within health workers which has been precipitated by lack of proper job description resulting in incessant strikes.

Did you have fears about securing a job in the face of the level of unemployment in the country?
No. I must say, that is one of the perks of studying Medicine. You are trained to do your part by studying well and knowing your onions. With these principles one would go places. It is unlike other disciplines where you need a ton of connections. Also, the need for doctors is huge. Take for instance; we were just 13 doctors to take care of over 2,600 corps members in camp. You would be surprised how stone walls open up for you when you are good at what you do and know what you are worth.

If you weren’t studying medicine, would you have considered lecturing?
That is an emphatic yes, it is part of the training (smiles).
- Punch

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search

Powered by Blogger.